Farm Workers Advocacy

About Us


The Legal Advocacy Program (LAP) was established in 2001 to address the hardships faced by Farmworkers in the Fraser Valley and Lower Mainland. The program has a three-fold intent consisting of: 

  • Education
  • Law reform 
  • One-on-one Assistance

LAP is a partnership program between Abbotsford Community Services (ACS) and Progressive Intercultural Community Services Society (PICS) which is funded by The Law Foundation of BC.


The Legal Advocacy Program (LAP) provides assistance to Farmworkers in Punjabi, Spanish, English, Hindi, Mandarin, and Vietnamese. LAP provides full representation on a variety of issues including:

  • Employment Standards/Unpaid Wages
  • Residential Tenancy
  • Employment Insurance Regular and Sickness Benefits
  • Canada Pension Plan Disability
  • Work Safe BC
  • Social Assistance
  • Canada Pension Plan
  • Old Age Security Pension
  • Human Rights 

Frequently Asked Questions


Q. If I was being harassed by my employer and quit my job, can I still apply for employment insurance benefits?

A. We encourage you to apply for employment insurance benefits and the worker from Service Canada who is assigned to your file will consider all relevant information before making a decision. You would still need the minimum number of hours in your previous 52 weeks to qualify.

Q. I am a farm worker, do I receive overtime benefits?

A. Farm workers are exempt from overtime pay. It's one of the issues that our program continues to advocate to have rules changed.

Q. How many hours do I need to qualify

for employment insurance sickness and regular benefits?

A. For sickness benefits you need 600 hours in the past 52 weeks. For regular benefits its dependent on the rate of unemployment in your region. You will never need more than 700 hours to qualify for regular benefits. 

Rules governing benefits can change on short notice. 

Contact Us

Drop us a line!

Progressive Intercultural Community Services Society

12725 80 Ave #205, Surrey, BC V3W 3A6

Ph: 604-596-7722

Gurpreet Ext # 134


Abbotsford Community Services

2420 Montrose Ave, Abbotsford, BC V2S 3S9

Ph: 604-859-7681

Gurcharan Ext # 307


Sarbjit Ext #315



Ph: 778-808-8883



Monday - Friday: 9am - 5pm

Saturday: Closed

Sunday: Closed